This year was full of firsts and major changes for me. For a long time, I’ve been in school stressing over course projects and getting in last-minute study sessions for exams. This was my life for many years in a small city I’ve spent the majority of my life in. I knew when 2018 began I would be leaving from my usual routine in exchange for something new. While I had a couple mishaps in 2018, I want to focus on the positive experiences that ultimately made all the choices I’ve made until now totally worth it.
This week I began working on the next part of my internship project: embedding the Accessibility Inspector into the 3-pane view of the inspector panel. This part of my project will allow the inspection of a page with both the markup and accessibility tree views side-by-side. I am particularly excited about this part of my project since it would allow easier discovery of the Accessibility Inspector tool and it also provides better integration with more common developer tool use-cases such as inspecting the markup of the DOM tree. But before I started coding, I needed to create a mental map of how I wanted to solve this problem. I find creating mental maps of what I want to do is very helpful for sizeable tasks. This is usually an iterative process for me since I will try out what I planned, and if that doesn’t work, I either improve those plans or start new. Preferably the former.
It was early November of last year when I received an offer to intern at Mozilla. Having previously contributed to their Firefox Devtools project, I was absolutely ecstatic. It would be one of the biggest steps I took in my career and the start date being eight months away made the internship feel even more surreal.
Just before the holidays, I decided to satiate my curiosity about the Bitcoin craze that plagued a good portion of 2017. I never paid much attention to it since I was heavily involved with Firefox’s CSS Grid Inspector (both UCOSP and GSoC) and of course school. There was never much room in my mind for picking up a new subject.
I’ve been working with ES6 for over a year now and can easily say the spread operator and destructuring are by far my most frequently used features.
For this year’s Google Summer of Code program, I have been working on a project for Mozilla’s Firefox Developer Tools. My project was to implement new features for the CSS Grid Inspector tool as well as refining its existing functionality.
First evaluation period is now wrapping up! I’ve been planning and working on a new set of features since my last post and while only one of them has been landed it has still been a very busy past two weeks. But before I get into the details of what I’ve been doing last, I wanted to mention that the contributions from my last GSoC post have been recently featured in a Mozilla hack post written by my mentor! It’s definitely encouraging to see the contributions I’ve been making in action, especially since my current tasks have been a little more challenging and its tempting to slip into the Imposter Syndrome’s mindset sometimes. That said, make sure to check it out, it will give you an idea of what the CSS Grid Inspector is capable of if you didn’t already know!
Just over a week ago, Google Summer of Code’s working period began. I’ve been making a number of contributions to Firefox Developer Tools’ CSS Grid Inspector for the past two weeks, most of which have been officially landed into the inbound branch of Firefox Nightly.
It’s been a week since student projects have been announced for the Google Summer of Code program this year — my own proposal being among them. Students and their mentors are currently going through the “Community Bonding Period”, where students are just getting immersed into their open-source communities before the real coding period begins. During this time, I’ve been hanging out on IRC channels and groups specifically for GSoC students and subscribing to mailing lists. But to really get myself back into the groove of consistently coding, I’ve been working on a couple of bugs left over from the open-source course project I was working on during the Spring 2017 semester (which has extended into the summer as my Google Summer of Code Project, yay!) for the past week. In particular, I revisited a bug I started working on late January of this year and hadn’t given it much love since I was swept up by another project.